Split Door (why does mine not work?

Need help with your project? Ask here.
Syfo-Dyas

Split Door (why does mine not work?

Post by Syfo-Dyas »

Here is another issue I'm having and I've tested this in both GzDOOM and Odamex:

I went through this guide and duplicated it exactly, except in my map the rooms are above one another instead of side by side.

For what ever reason, when I play my map, the DOOR doesn't do a thing, but when I play the demo map included with the tutorial, it works fine.

Can someone please point out to me what I'm doing wrong?

Thank you!

http://zdoom.org/zdkb/splitdoor.html
Attachments
DFSplitDoor.rar
(1016 Bytes) Downloaded 160 times
Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Re: Split Door (why does mine not work?

Post by Rex Claussen »

I don't have WinRar installed on this computer, so I can't check your wad. You said:

"... except in my map the rooms are above one another instead of side by side."

Is there a doorway connecting the upstairs rooms, and is that doorway above the doorway connecting the downstairs rooms? If that's the case, you'll have to make sure your ceiling & floor heights for the horizontally split door are suitable. Other than that, I can't figure out what might be causing the door to not open.

Can you post your script here? I may be able to tell what your problem is from that.
Syfo-Dyas

Post by Syfo-Dyas »

I'm sorry, by above one another and side by side, I meant in regards to how they appears when mapping in "CAD" mode in DOOM Builder 2.

The rooms within the game are actually on the same level and same floor.

Here is the script:

#include "zcommon.acs"

script 1 (int DoorTag)
{
Floor_LowerByValue (DoorTag, 16, 64);
Ceiling_RaiseByValue (DoorTag, 16, 64);

Delay (120);

Floor_RaiseByValue (DoorTag, 16, 64);
Ceiling_LowerByValue (DoorTag, 16, 64);
}

Confirmed not to work in both Odamex and GzDOOM.

This is the demo I'm basing my work off of. As you can see in it the room are side by side (East and West) as opposed to mine where they are (North and South).

http://zdoom.org/zdkb/splitdoor.html
Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Post by Rex Claussen »

Ah, I get it now. In any case, orientation of the doorway would not make a difference to the way this script works, so whether your rooms are E-W of each other or N-S (as in your case) it would not make a difference.

In your ACS_Execute special assigned to the activating linedef, make sure that you assign the door's tag ID to the first argument. This may be what's causing your problem. (Of course, also make sure that the activating linedef is flagged properly - player crosses, player uses, enemy crosses, etc.)

As an alternative, use the following script (assuming your door has a Tag ID = 9):

#include "zcommon.acs"

script 1 (void)
{
Floor_LowerByValue (9, 16, 64);
Ceiling_RaiseByValue (9, 16, 64);

Delay (120);

Floor_RaiseByValue (9, 16, 64);
Ceiling_LowerByValue (9, 16, 64);
}
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

You tagged the sector 1 and passed 2 as an argument to the script so logically it won't work.
NeuralStunner

Post by NeuralStunner »

Rex Claussen wrote:I don't have WinRar installed on this computer, so I can't check your wad.
7-Zip can open those.
Dean Koontz wrote:Human beings can always be relied upon to exert, with vigor, their God-given right to be stupid.
Spoiler: System Specs
Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Post by Rex Claussen »

NeuralStunner wrote:7-Zip can open those.
Good to know. Unfortunately, I don't have 7-Zip either, but I'll get it.
Syfo-Dyas

Post by Syfo-Dyas »

7Zip is the way to go, great compression, though I've been a registered WinRAR user for years, so I just go with what I know, though I'll try to stick with zip in the future to create less problems.

Anyhow, Graf and Rex, you got it! And I'm on to something as to why it will not work with Odamex/ZDOOM 1.22 yet the example this is based off of does.

I decided to load up the example WAD in DOOM Builder 2, I then compiled the script and saved, and what do you know, it no longer worked under Odamex or ZDOOM 1.22! So now I need to see if I can find an older copy of ACC and compile it with that (after learning how to do it all by hand), then I'm off to look up Crusher commands in the ACS wiki and make this door deadly.
Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Post by Rex Claussen »

Syfo-Dyas wrote:So now I need to see if I can find an older copy of ACC and compile it with that (after learning how to do it all by hand)
Note that older versions of ACC will not recognize many of the newer features of ZDooM, and could prove to be more of a headache than a solution.
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

If you use the -h argument with newer versions of ACC it will compile in a format compatible with Hexen/older Zdooms.
Syfo-Dyas

Post by Syfo-Dyas »

Yes, thank you, I'd seen that, but could not figure out exactly how ACC was used as I was getting errors, though the guys in the ZDOOM forums cleared it all up for me:

ACC -h scripts.acs BEHAVIOR

It's kind of sad that I can take such simple things and complicate them. ;)

Return to “Editing Help”