Concept weapons

Do you have a question about making weapon mods, or do you just need some tutorials and resources? Ask about all of that here.

Moderator: wildweasel

DoomRater

Concept weapons

Post by DoomRater »

I was kinda wondering if I should make a journal about weapon concepts that I theorized to be possible but didn't have the time to acutally build them, or if I should just plop them in Modding Help and Resources. After all, an idea is a resource!

Anyway, while in the shower I surmized how to pull off the Hexen Fist attack properly. That is, when you connect with a monster three times it actually does double damage and stuff. The key lies in using the DECORATE Codepointers A_GivePlayerInventory and A_TakePlayerInventory, where a monster could take and give items, I believe it was? (correct me if this isn't available or if I got some of the codes wrong)

Anyway, a puff has one of three states it can go to- one if it doesn't hit anything, one where it hits a wall, and one where it hits an actor. We want the one that hit an actor to add a counter to the player's inventory, and the ones that don't to clear this counter. In the weapon code, the fist should be checking to see if it has 3 in the counter just after it hits and if so, jump to the alternate swinging frameset (and attacking a second time for the double damage?)

While thinking about it, this would work okay, but checking with an invisible puff before the attack to make sure it would land would be even more like the original behavior, because then one could just have one attack for the mighty blow. But I kinda like the two blows so that it has more stun chance.

See, the reason I'd think it's worth a journal is because ideas like this occasionally come into my head, even though they wouldn't always be worth it for me to execute. So what are your guys' thoughts?
TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

There's a flaw in that: There is no properway to tell if a blow has hit nothing but air since the puff isn't spawned when nothing is hit.
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

Sure it does.

Code: Select all

* missed 

activesound is played. Additionally, if ALWAYSPUFF flag is set, Crash state sequence is entered. 
EDIT: While there apparently will be no way for the puff to tell the difference bewteen hitting nothing but air and hitting wall without using two different puffs, it's still enough.
Zeg-Vok

Post by Zeg-Vok »

Wow, when was this stuff added?
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

I forget exactly, but it should be available in GZDoom right now. I really hope so... it's the first time I'd be able to make a weapon that actually does something different based on whether it hit its target or not!
Zeg-Vok

Post by Zeg-Vok »

If you give the player a TID, you could "Punish" them every time they miss
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

I don't see why the player needs a TID for this to work. In fact, I don't see why anything needs a TID for it to work.
Zeg-Vok

Post by Zeg-Vok »

Without a TID, how would you hurt the player without using crushing floors, or something like that . . . TID's are absolute!
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

But the TakePlayerInventory() should be able to take health as well. (I'm hoping it can even when invulnerability is on, because then I can re-implement a certain altfire for a level 5 weapon)
Zeg-Vok

Post by Zeg-Vok »

Well, another way you can "Punish" the player is to have the missed bulletpuff spawn a monster, or shoot a tracer missile at the player, possibly with noclip. Or it could even simply to a quick A_Fire attack on the player

I know Thing_Hurt for example doesnt effect the player when they are in god mode
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

Use DamageThing, that kills the player even in god mode (1000 damage being dealt, I think)
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

Well, that sounds like the 1000 damage bug and I just want to take some health away from the player. I'll begin experiments shortly.
TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

Doesn't DamageThing have a parameter, anyway?
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

Yeah it does, but I was just saying that I used 1000 (I think) on the player in the instance I used
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

Gah, I haven't tested any concepts at all yet. Not to be the posterboy of Enjay's rants about wanting stuff I won't even use, but I'd better get to work or this info will be for naught!

Return to “Weapon Modding Help & Resources”