What the hell has broken loose?!

In this forum, you can start an ongoing development diary detailing the progress on your latest mods in progress.

Moderator: wildweasel

Captain Red

What the hell has broken loose?!

Post by Captain Red »

once again, I call upon the talented folks at the Doom Armory to help me with a few problems with a mod of mine.

now this is not finished. there are several problems and items that still need to be updated and/or replaced.

I have uploaded what I've done so far for three main reasons:

firstly: beta testing. I need some knowledgeable people to find bugs (and passably suggest ways to fix them)

secondly: criticisms. do you like the way this project is headed? I made the weapons real world ones, but maybe you think is should be more of a serious sam feel to them? or maybe you don't like my choices for the monster replacements?

and finally, i need some suggestions with some features. I really think this mod needs duke 3d/quake style flying gibs, but I'm not sure how to go about adding them. also, some suggestions for items and monsters yet to be replaced would be helpful (note, When suggestion things like new weapons or monsters, try to keep the current theme of the mod in mind)

Known bugs:

the big cyberdemon, BFG and large BFG ammo are going to be replaced. at this point in time, I don't know what they will be replaced with. open to suggestions.

the sniper rifle sometimes 'jams'. i cannot for the life of me figure out why.

FSGLOBAL doesn't work when I try to use it with the mods map. will work elsewhere.

the Arachnophyte is meant to spawn flying robots, but they just die as soon as they pop into spawned.

Requiers Gzdoom:

http://rapidshare.de/files/23416638/Wthhbl.zip.html

the original all hell is braking loose mod:

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=6480

(yeah, I know rapidshare kills off files after a while, but this is only temporay anyway.)
Chronoteeth

Post by Chronoteeth »

Gotta love a fine captain red mod. :D
TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

Issues:

* The doomguy needs to take his hands off the gun before reloading else it looks crap.
* The hand on the grenades doesn't look like it's holding them.
* The glocks and flamethrower don't have a pickup message and instead the generic "You got a pickup" is shown.
* In the original AHIBL, the XDeath sprites were replaced by burning death sprites and gibbing them in WTHHBL shows part of this animation but sticks halfway through.
* Don't make your sources so obvious via the pickup messages. ;)
Captain Red

Post by Captain Red »

TheDarkArchon wrote:Issues:

* The doomguy needs to take his hands off the gun before reloading else it looks crap.
What gun in particular?
* The hand on the grenades doesn't look like it's holding them.
Yeah, I'm not crazy about that sprite eather. I'll try to fix it, but if someone can suggest a better looking sprite, I'd like to know about it.
* The glocks and flamethrower don't have a pickup message and instead the generic "You got a pickup" is shown.
yeah, changing the pickup messages is usally the last thing I do on a mod like this.
* In the original AHIBL, the XDeath sprites were replaced by burning death sprites and gibbing them in WTHHBL shows part of this animation but sticks halfway through.

I'm waiting till I can implement duke 3d/quake style flying gibs witch I'm still learning how to do. I guess I could slot the old ones back in the meantime
* Don't make your sources so obvious via the pickup messages. ;)
Ya got me! :P I'm a dirty thief! ok, in my defense, I never just rip something without making a few changes to the sprites or the code.
Chronoteeth wrote:Gotta love a fine captain red mod. :D
YAY! I've got fans! :D
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

Flying gibs! (I did something similar to a frag grenade, so I think I can be of some help here)

Make heads fly upwards with a_custommissile. And make it bouncy and ripper with no damage.

The arm chunks should fly relatively to the sides. So an angle of 64 plus or minus 7 and an angle of 192 plus or minus 7 should go well. same flags.

Dunno if you want to do leg chunks.

For as long as the gibs are flying around, they should (optionally) spawn blood particles, perhaps travelling a little slower than they do?

(for laffs, leave the blood on so that any chunk makes blood when it goes through someone, so it looks extra bloody)

Okay, so the number one thing you want to remember when making this gib thing work is the Random() value. You put this in where the angle would normally be and it adds enough randomalities that the gibs look somewhat realistic. Fun for any GZDoomer!
TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

Captain Red wrote:
I wrote:Issues:

What gun in particular?
*hits self for being dumb*

It was the pump-action shotgun.
Captain Red wrote:
I wrote: * Don't make your sources so obvious via the pickup messages. ;)
Ya got me! :P I'm a dirty thief! ok, in my defense, I never just rip something without making a few changes to the sprites or the code.
That I did notice: I didn't add reloading for the sniper rifle for my mod becuase it wouldn't fit very well.
wildweasel
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

Post by wildweasel »

Why not just use a bunch of A_SpawnDebris("GibChunk") commands to use for your flying guts?
Chronoteeth

Post by Chronoteeth »

For the arm chunks, in Mouac (I forgot what it's called now) there's some frames showing the zombieman armless, but still walking even after it's arm is blown off. Maybe see if you can try something like that?
Zeg-Vok

Post by Zeg-Vok »

You could always use A_TossGib, so long as you have the MEAT sprites it works nice, and you can get the MEAT and JUNK sprites from Strife
DuduKrazy

Post by DuduKrazy »

or from Duke Nukem 3d.
Captain Red

Post by Captain Red »

Zeg-Vok wrote:You could always use A_TossGib, so long as you have the MEAT sprites it works nice, and you can get the MEAT and JUNK sprites from Strife
that A_TossGib had the effect I was looking for, but the gibs disappear after a few seconds. is there a way to turn that off? I want the gibs to stay.
The HavoX

Post by The HavoX »

But that would result in a performance drop, me thinks.

You wouldn't want that, would you?
Zeg-Vok

Post by Zeg-Vok »

The gibs stay for me. Another way however, would be very complex, and might not work quite as good, but still I made something similar for a boss monster for my now defunct Siege Coop wads, and I had expiremented with the meat actor:

actor attackmeat : meat
{
Height 4
Radius 4
Speed 25
Damage 1 //Get rid of this if you want
Projectile
-Nogravity
States
{
Death:
MEAT A 1
Stop
}
}

Basically, since I cant replicate the random Meat sprites without a bunch of A_Jumps, I simply inherited from the Meat actor, and left the spawn state alone. Now that I think about it, the Death state isnt even needed. But you could always rig up something like this with a bunch of A_Jumps in the beginning to randomly choose between the 10 different MEAT sprites. If you even think about it, you would actually only need one A_Jump that would look like:

Death:
MEAT A 0 A_Jump(60, Random(1,10))
MEAT A -1
MEAT B -1
MEAT C -1
MEAT D -1
MEAT E -1
MEAT F -1
MEAT G -1
MEAT H -1
MEAT I -1
MEAT J -1
MEAT A 0 //I usually like to leave a cushion towards the end of the Jump targets
Loop

And again, I've solved my own problem . . . well, Good luck

Return to “Development Journals”