DRD Team Logo Post-Contest Discussion

General discussion about DRD & website stuff.
solarsnowfall
Persecution Complex

DRD Team Logo Post-Contest Discussion

Post by solarsnowfall »

First off, to be fair to everybody, we probably should have gotten to vote on a test page, rather than just the graphic itself. I voted, but thinking back on it, I'm not sure how well any of them would look in context before making a decision. Here's my point. The winner is a damn fine image, and a good piece of work, but it just doesn't seem to fit the site.

It's too bright for this dark website layoug. It shines in the corner of my eye almost like a flashlight pointed at my face. It's too busy! The rest of the site is so "cool" and "mellow". Of course, opionions like that could easily change if the site better matched the image.

Also, I would have liked to have seen at least one entry that kept the original font, but restylized a bit. I've woked in a few multimedia departments in my day, and I can tell you that font performs a very important brand recognision function. Companies reinvent their image all the time, but one thing they almost NEVER change is the font. I know this isn't a professional setting, but I think something was lost in a basic view of the site here. There's no continuity, it doesn't feel that much like I'm at DRDTeam.

In the end, we sort of handicapped the democratic process by essentlally looking at pretty images, and maybe the decisions were a bit skewed toward a beauty contest, rather than picking an all-around well functioing logo.

I'm nobody special, but I think these are some good points that could use some discussion. Otherwise, a good job was done by all contestants.
wildweasel
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

Re: DRD Team Logo Post-Contest Discussion

Post by wildweasel »

solarsnowfall wrote:In the end, we sort of handicapped the democratic process by essentlally looking at pretty images, and maybe the decisions were a bit skewed toward a beauty contest, rather than picking an all-around well functioing logo.
That's mostly the reason why I voted for Shinjanji - that, and I really thought that the relative simplicity and hard edges would work well with the rest of the front page (though I was expecting the new logo to also appear on the forums, which I was completely wrong about).
Paul
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

Post by Paul »

Umm.. I can't say much other than Tormentor won fair and square by the majority.

I organised the contest mostly for people to have a chance in presenting themselves in a creative way, and to attract attention onto DRDTeam. I was very fine satisfied with the old logo. I don't really care about the new one, but that the contest provided with challenge, fun, excitement, and stuff-smiling faces? If so, then the contest was sucessful.

You're entitled to post your own opinions, but making another contest, or removing the logo would hurt the feelings of contestants and our winnar. Jes I can't do much about it.

As for the forums logo-that would take too much work per one, so very likely, we would have had only one contestant :/

Return to “General”