Good SVN browsers?

Anything that doesn't fit into other forums.
BlazingPhoenix

Good SVN browsers?

Post by BlazingPhoenix »

Are there any good SVN browsers around?
BioHazard

Post by BioHazard »

svn.exe works great for me.
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Try TortoiseSVN. It's what I use for ZDoom and at work. It doesn't get much better. I also tried RapidSVN but I really didn't like that one.

@Bio: Command line tools are so stone age so don't even dare to recommend another one for a complex task again! :P
BioHazard

Post by BioHazard »

Sure, they are pretty stone-age in Windows, but Windows has a crap terminal. Command-line stuff works great in Linux. It's very natural. But I see how you could be scared by a terminal when you have only used Windows'.

I couldn't figure out TortoiseSVN when I used Windows. Probably because all the SVN tutorials assumed you were using svn.exe.
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

TortoiseSVN is one of the easiest to use programs I have ever seen. It's all neatly packaged in the context menu you open with a right mouse click so you always get exactly the options you can use in a certain place.

I think it says enough that in the last 2 months I had to teach 5 persons how to use it and none of them needed more than a few minutes to understand the basics. And the help coming with it is quite thorough.

I have been using TortoiseSVN to for 8 months to access ZDoom and for 3 months professionally to organize my company's projects. Initially many of my co-workers questioned the sensibility of that move but now almost everyone is using it.
TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

BioHazard wrote:Sure, they are pretty stone-age in Windows, but Windows has a crap terminal. Command-line stuff works great in Linux. It's very natural. But I see how you could be scared by a terminal when you have only used Windows'
However, the person in question (KoF) is a Windows user so it doesn't make one ounce of difference whever the command line in Linux is more natural or not.
BioHazard

Post by BioHazard »

TheDarkArchon wrote:However, the person in question (KoF) is a Windows user so it doesn't make one ounce of difference whever the command line in Linux is more natural or not.
I was referring to Graf's comment that all command-line programs are "stone-age".
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

I never said that all command line programs are stone age. But doing complex tasks that benefit from decent visualization with them sure is. Source control systems certainly fit that criteria.
Nash
Developer
Developer

Post by Nash »

I love TortoiseSVN.

Being a person with absolutely ZERO programming experience (read: I'm a sound engineer), I managed to figure out most of the functions TortoiseSVN offers in a few minutes, and now I'm just about ready to commit my very first ZDoom source modification. =P

Return to “Off-Topic”