Lights.wad

Advanced OpenGL source port fork from ZDoom, picking up where ZDoomGL left off.
[Home] [Download] [Git builds (Win)] [Git builds (Mac)] [Wiki] [Repo] [Bugs&Suggestions]

Moderator: Graf Zahl

Jive

Post by Jive »

sorry, Nash.
I made a typo, and I have corrected my message.
That don't change its reallity: it don't works!

After an examination of the ".ini" file, I guess that autoexec.cfg is read ONE time and all of its entries are incorporated, so that the field is no more useful, and is deleted.
Okay!

But the autoload field is simply deleted, and the file is not loaded.
Last edited by Jive on Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:20, edited 2 times in total.
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

If you add the exec console command to the command line

+exec configname.cfg

you can execute any config file at startup.

Zdoom uses cfg files to set up bindings, aliases and other preferences (usually) at game startup. It uses ini files to store settings across game sessions. I guess this allows a little confusion to creep in because doom.exe used to store its between session info in a file called doom.cfg. In fact, because of this, in Zdoom you can load an ini file like this:

zdoom -config myini.ini

A useful tip is to keep a file called zdoom.ini in your (G)Zdoom directory. To create this file, copy your zdoom-username.ini file to zdoom.ini then edit it with a text editor. Leave only the entries you usually set up yourself, and which are important to you in it (perhaps key bindings, mouse preferences, aliases, whatever) and remove the other stuff the engine normally sets up automatically. Now save the file. Whenever you start (G)Zdoom without there already being a zdoom-username.ini file present, it will read the contents of zdoom.ini and import them into a newly created zdoom-username.ini file. As long as (G)Zdoom finds a zdoom-username.ini file, it will not use zdoom.ini So, using this method, it's easy to delete your zdoom-username.ini file and recreate it, should you need to, simply by running (G)Zdoom again. It's also quite useful if you keep your Zdoom install on some kind of portable medium where you may be using different usernames on different computers.
Jive

Post by Jive »

Here is the wiki's autoload section

I'm using KDX (since many years) to launch (GZ)Doom.
The command line "+exec blabla", or "-exec blabla", didn't work, but I was able to add the light.wad file, using the "autoload" section, just to understand how it works. It would have been more easy to put it in the skins dir... (It would have been... In fact, I made it and it was fine, but I had to study a bit more the problem, using the "autoload" feature, for the purpose to be less dumb about it)

I resume:
- open the "zdoom-YourName.ini" file with your text editor
- Copy all the entries
- Create a new file with the name: "zdoom.ini"
- Paste the copied entries in it
- Change what must be changed or add what you want to add
- Save this file
- Delete "zdoom-YourName.ini"

The strong point is to DELETE the "zdoom-YourName.ini" file. Otherwise, nothing will happen, the "zdoom.ini" file will NOT be read.

A good idea for the engine GZDoom could be to do a search for this file (zdoom.ini). If found, to delete automatically "zdoom-YourName.ini" and to replace it with a copy of zdoom.ini
It will prevent newbies like me to ask stupid questions about it by lack of knowledge... :wink:
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Jive wrote: A good idea for the engine GZDoom could be to do a search for this file (zdoom.ini). If found, to delete automatically "zdoom-YourName.ini" and to replace it with a copy of zdoom.ini
It will prevent newbies like me to ask stupid questions about it by lack of knowledge... :wink:

That would be stupid. The personalized configuration files are there for a reason. ZDoom.ini is just a fallback in case the personalized file cannot be found.

Return to “GZDoom”