Is there a way to make console text bigger?

Advanced OpenGL source port fork from ZDoom, picking up where ZDoomGL left off.
[Home] [Download] [Git builds (Win)] [Git builds (Mac)] [Wiki] [Repo] [Bugs&Suggestions]

Moderator: Graf Zahl

JudgeGroovy

Is there a way to make console text bigger?

Post by JudgeGroovy »

The text is very tiny in the console at 1080p for me. Is there any way to increase the font size of the console text?
NeoHippo

Re: Is there a way to make console text bigger?

Post by NeoHippo »

The only way I know of is with Spidey's ZDoom Font Generator, which is a front end for Image Tool.

There is a recent thread dealing with this at the ZDoom forum
http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f= ... 44#p888414
JudgeGroovy

Post by JudgeGroovy »

NeoHippo wrote:The only way I know of is with Spidey's ZDoom Font Generator, which is a front end for Image Tool.

There is a recent thread dealing with this at the ZDoom forum
http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f= ... 44#p888414
Interesting, thanks.
NeoHippo

Post by NeoHippo »

I know, there is nothing worse than text which is difficult to read. But, luckily this can be changed.

For example in ROTGS, even when playing at a moderate resolution, the text is barely legible.
Spoiler:

I downloaded a font, Liquidism, from the internet and ran it through the Font Generator.
Then I opened the pwad with Slade3 and added the new font as LIQ, thusly, with HudMessage
Spoiler:
with this result
Spoiler:

Similarly one can increase the size of the console font CONFONT by first scaling the font image to 200%, 300%, whatever
and the Font Generator will do the rest, for example
Spoiler:
I include the new fonts for you to try in your pwad
Attachments
new fonts.zip
(9.47 KiB) Downloaded 121 times
JudgeGroovy

Post by JudgeGroovy »

NeoHippo wrote:I know, there is nothing worse than text which is difficult to read. But, luckily this can be changed.

For example in ROTGS, even when playing at a moderate resolution, the text is barely legible.
Spoiler:

I downloaded a font, Liquidism, from the internet and ran it through the Font Generator.
Then I opened the pwad with Slade3 and added the new font as LIQ, thusly, with HudMessage
Spoiler:
with this result
Spoiler:

Similarly one can increase the size of the console font CONFONT by first scaling the font image to 200%, 300%, whatever
and the Font Generator will do the rest, for example
Spoiler:
I include the new fonts for you to try in your pwad
Thanks, but I'm not sure how to use this to make the console font bigger in general. the confont3.lmp for example that you included, if I load it up with a wad I want to play with the ZDL launcher, it doesn't do anything, font size stays the same.

I'm guessing you're saying I could include this file if I was making my own pwad? I'm not making my own pwad at the moment. Was hoping for either just a console command to increase console font size, or a file I could load up in ZDL. For this method I'd have to edit every wad I play in slade?

There is a menu option to scale message text, so that is big enough for me. It's just the console text is way too small, for when I want to type in console commands etc. Thanks anyway, just this method would be too much time/effort for the little thing I'm looking for. I also am confused by why I'd be editing wads to change GZDoom's console. Ideally there's a way to just change GZDoom's console itself.
NeoHippo

Post by NeoHippo »

You will need to download Slade3 and the 2015 runtimes if you do not have them already.

Now let's do this step by step:
  • Open Slade3 and load new fonts.zip

next click File > New > Wad Archive to create a new UNSAVED.wad file.
    You now have three tabs - Start Page - new fonts.zip - UNSAVED.wad

click on the new fonts.zip tab, rightclick on confont3.lmp and rename to confont.lmp
    actually the extension .lmp is not required for this but does not hurt

rightclick on confont.lmp and copy
    click on the UNSAVED.wad tab and press CTRL+V to paste confont.lmp
    now Save the UNSAVED.wad, give it a name such as NF.wad
    close Slade3

drag the pwad and nf.wad onto the GZDoom icon, or use a batch file
    now the console will use the larger font
JudgeGroovy

Post by JudgeGroovy »

NeoHippo wrote:You will need to download Slade3 and the 2015 runtimes if you do not have them already.

Now let's do this step by step:
Much thanks! That works like a charm, greatly appreciated for helping me out. Rock on!

Return to “GZDoom”